This matter got here up a few weeks in the past after I was collaborating in a convention name with prime pitching coaches from all around the nation. We had wandered into extra team-oriented subjects when my pal James Clark talked about that he all the time insists his gamers study multiple place – with a type of ideally being outfield.
Apparently in today of helicopter dad and mom that could be a pretty radical concept. These dad and mom (or ought to I say “these dad and mom”) consider their baby ought to spend all their time on the sector in a single spot. Ideally a “high-value” spot comparable to pitcher, catcher or shortstop.
To me, that’s doing these gamers in addition to the workforce a disservice. There are many causes for gamers to study multiple place.
- It elevates the extent of play. Most of us don’t get higher until we’re pushed. Having two or extra gamers getting enjoying time at a place pushes everybody to be at their greatest to allow them to be there for the massive video games.
- It helps gamers study the sport. When you spend all of your time at one place it’s possible you’ll get to study it totally however it’s possible you’ll not achieve the larger image of how the sport works. Softball is a person sport performed in a workforce setting. It actually helps to know what all the opposite components are doing.
- It rounds out their talent units. Completely different positions require completely different abilities. Being a extra well-rounded participant makes gamers extra useful even of their major positions. For instance, shortstops who additionally play outfield achieve extra expertise monitoring balls within the air.
- It offers gamers extra choices down the highway. You could be the massive gun at a place proper now. However what if a “as soon as in a profession” participant comes alongside who performs your place? Or simply somebody the coach likes extra? Otherwise you get harm and may not play your chosen place, as occurs from time to time. When you can’t contribute wherever else you’re probably to spend so much of time driving the pines. Or the aluminum today.
- It helps gamers show themselves in faculty. A participant’s greatest probability to point out coaches what she will do might not be at her major place, particularly if the coaches have a longtime starter. But when she will contribute elsewhere the coaches can get snug having her within the lineup, after which could also be extra keen to see what she will do at her major place.
These are a few of the advantages to the gamers. There are additionally advantages to the workforce, comparable to:
- It future-proofs the workforce. If just one participant has any latest expertise at a place and she or he will get harm or decides to just accept a suggestion in the course of the season from what she perceives to be a higher-level workforce (it occurs) it may take some time to interrupt in somebody new. If gamers have been splitting time you have already got the following one up able to go.
- It presents extra choices to get gamers within the sport. Nobody likes sitting, and enjoying time might be the only greatest level of abrasion between gamers/dad and mom and coaches. Everybody will get extra alternative when there’s flexibility within the lineup.
- It promotes the idea of “workforce” over “me.” Splitting time between positions helps gamers perceive that everybody contributes to the success of the workforce, not simply the celebs. That mentality then carries over into different elements, comparable to laying down a bunt when known as upon when a participant would fairly swing away.
- It offers coaches choices for match-ups. If sure gamers can solely play one place, and that place is occupied by a greater participant, the coach might not have the ability to put the most effective 9 that match-up in opposition to a specific workforce on the sector. Gamers who can play different positions give coaches choices. It’s like having a bigger bench with out all the problems that presents.
After all, not everybody agrees with this philosophy. I as soon as misplaced a participant after I was recruiting a workforce as a result of I refused to ensure a father that his daughter would solely play one place. However that was okay – I ended up with 4 different gamers who may play that place simply as nicely – and who had been completely happy to do regardless of the workforce wanted.
In the long run, solely having the ability to play one place is a self-made entice. It could seem to be a good suggestion however all the time remember that fastpitch softball is a aggressive sport.
Your coach might love you there as we speak. But when he/she will discover somebody higher for that place tomorrow, that participant goes to get your spot. When you can’t contribute wherever else it may make for a protracted, sad season.
When you broaden your abilities, nevertheless, there’ll all the time be somebody who needs you on their workforce. And on their area.
About Ken Krause
Ken Krause has been teaching women fastpitch softball for practically 20 years. Some might know him as a contributing columnist to Softball Journal, the place he writes Krause’s Korner — an everyday column sponsored by Louisville Slugger. Ken can also be the Administrator of the Focus on Fastpitch Discussion board, the preferred fastpitch dialogue discussion board on the Web. He’s presently a Three Star Grasp Coach with the Nationwide Fastpitch Coaches Affiliation (NFCA), and is licensed by each the Novice Softball Affiliation (ASA) and American Sports activities Training Program (ASEP). Ken is a personal teacher specializing in pitchers, hitters, and catchers. He teaches at North Shore Baseball Academy in Libertyville, IL and Professional-Participant Consultants in McHenry, IL.